Sunday, February 17, 2013

Anhedonia

Gesundheit.

Don't know what anhedonia is?  You probably are not alone.  But it is one of the big symptoms of depression.  Before you scamper off to google it, I will just go ahead and tell you.  Anhedonia is the inability to take pleasure in things that are typically pleasurable.  So basically, you do not enjoy anything.  The things you used to love doing?  They are just another thing.

I certainly had/have anhedonia.  Things I used to love doing became passe.  They were boring, they provided no joy, they no longer made me happy.  So can you imagine that?  When something you love to do is suddenly a pointless venture.  Ok, so maybe not suddenly, but it still sneaks up on you pretty quickly.

I am getting past it though.  I can find things fun again.  For over a year I really didn't find much that was fun or at times even enjoyable.  But now, I finally find myself smiling, laughing, enjoying simple things. 

So remember when I told you about weird vivid dreams?  So, I was in my old apartment, the one I grew up in in North Kansas City.  In the bathroom to be exact.  There was a window that looked out towards the park.  I looked out of it and I see this thing flying towards me.  Its brown.  It get's bigger.  It's a duck-billed platypus.   A flying duck-billed platypus.  It smacks into the window and just stands there looking at me.  I do what any normal person would, I pull out my phone and take a picture of it.  It cocks it's head to the side staring at me.  That is the last I remember of that dream.  I am pretty sure no one in the world has ever dreamed of a flying duck-billed platypus in Missouri hitting their window.  

So I decided to go onto the interwebs and see just what the significance of a platypus is in dreams.  I am actually a little taken a back by what I found.

"To see a platypus in your dream refers to your tendency to wallow and dwell on your emotions.  It may also suggest that your repressed thoughts and subconscious materials are slowly coming to the surface and making its presence known. Alternatively, a platypus is indicative of shyness and reservation, especially in social situations." 

Interesting to say the least.  Ok now to see what it means to be in a bathroom.

"To dream that you are in the bathroom relates to your instinctual urges. You may be experiencing some burdens/feelings and need to "relieve yourself". Alternatively, a bathroom symbolizes purification and self-renewal. You need to cleanse yourself, both emotionally and psychologically."

 Now this is getting a little odd.  Let's look at window.

"To see a window in your dream signifies bright hopes, vast  possibilities and insight. If the window of a house is dark, then it indicates a loss to your perception or vitality. 
To dream that you are looking out the window signifies your outlook on life, your consciousness and your point of view. It also refers to your intuition and awareness. You may be reflecting on a decision. Or you need to go out into the larger world and experience life. If  you are looking in the window, then it indicates that you are doing some soul searching and looking within yourself. It is time for some introspection. To see another face in the window in your dream suggests that you are feeling emotionally distant and physically detached.  Also consider the emotion depicted on the face."
 I am not one to believe in dream interpretation, but this is just odd.  Who would have thought that dreaming of a platypus while in a bathroom looking out through the window would be interpreted as things so close to what is going on in my life.  But, I guess that you could just about apply those definitions to just about anyone in any situation.  I am still pretty sure no one has had a dream like that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment